one year of counting my blessings

“We can always choose to perceive things differently. You can focus on what's wrong in your life, or you can focus on what's right.” ~Marianne Williamson

Thursday, August 12, 2010

teaching L to sew

During last school year I helped with the musical. I was in charge of the costuming and helped during rehearsals etc. During this time I met L, a fourth grader and aspiring clothing designer. I told her that if she wanted to do that she would need to learn how to sew and I volunteered to teach her. She came over yesterday and we had a great time. She was a natural. She is very talented and I have no doubt that she could become a designer one day. Her are the projects she made.


She made the design decisions and I would sew a little bit in order to show her how to do each step. She did most of the sewing herself. She also learned how to thread the bobbin and the sewing machine and used the iron for the first time. Everything she made was from materials I had in my stash. Next time I hope to go to the store with her to see what she likes so she isn't limited to my fabric choices.

When she arrived she gave me these flowers as a thank you. So sweet.
Now I can cross that off of my summer to do list!

5 comments:

Bethany said...

Just love you blog, Liv! It's also so inspiring and incredible that you took the time to teach L to sew. I just love her little projects!

Thanks so much for "inviting me over", and for reading along on b*spoke. It's great to have you as a neighbor!

Christine said...

Wish you lived closer so you could teach me to sew.

Olivia Stewart said...

That would be fun! I can't believe your sister never showed you! She is the one that should be teaching you!

Katie said...

Actually, my sister has that wrong - she was the 1st one to sew! Chris - I remember the round poodle skirt you made in 4H. I was so envious - I immediately set out to do the same. For some reason, I kept at it and you went on to other interests (playing the piano possibly!)

Laura said...

That is SO fun!!!!

Followers

About Me

My photo
Minnesota
wife, daughter, sister, friend, teacher, artist, inspiration