one year of counting my blessings

“We can always choose to perceive things differently. You can focus on what's wrong in your life, or you can focus on what's right.” ~Marianne Williamson

Thursday, August 19, 2010

since I posted last

It has been a few days since I posted...here are photos to summarize what I have done in the past week:
I enlisted Joel's help to get the top of my table attached and then I sanded it.

I came across this old church cook book and found this recipe for cookies that didn't have butter/dairy in them
They were delicious. I substituted butterscotch chips for half of the chocolate chips because I didn't have enough. Also I didn't include the walnuts because nuts should be optional when baking...I always opt out!
It made 4 dozen cookies. I shared them with Joel and with all of the staff at school. I went back to school this Tuesday. I can hardly believe my summer break is over!
I do a lot of my teaching in this area so I decided I wanted a cute chair to sit on. I went to Savers, of course, in search of a chair to paint or reupholster and found this wood one. I liked the simplicity of it and the spindle carvings on the legs and chair back. I spray painted it aqua and for $6 total had a new chair.
Last but not least I painted and brought the completed table to school. I think being able to bring my new table to school to see how it looks in my classroom helped me to have something to be excited about when I returned to school on Tuesday. It is already loaded up with art supplies and ready for kids to come be creative (hopefully they won't spill to much paint on it, but I guess that would just signify being well loved and used!)

Now that my classroom it cute and organized I will begin my actual teaching prep work which is of course more important but I needed to ease into the school year by doing the fun decorating part first.

I still have a couple items left on my summer to-do-list but I figure that since I don't actually teach students until September 1st I still have a little bit of summer left to finish.

4 comments:

Christine said...

You are SO creative! Love to see the things you have created.

Katie said...

Your table is amazing! And it actually looks like the one your copied. I am very impressed!

Unknown said...

I love the table. Great job. Also, the cookies look fabulous. Tahnee and I were really craving a taste this weekend. We had tuna salad and cucumbers today so we thought of you.

Christine said...

I made the cookies and took them to a Sunday School social. Everyone loved them and all the ladies wanted the recipe. So I made copies of it to give to them. I used chocolate chips but want to try them again using butterscotch chips or white chocolate.

Followers

About Me

My photo
Minnesota
wife, daughter, sister, friend, teacher, artist, inspiration