one year of counting my blessings

“We can always choose to perceive things differently. You can focus on what's wrong in your life, or you can focus on what's right.” ~Marianne Williamson

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

homemade spaghetti sauce

I have been collecting the tomatoes from my garden for weeks planning to make something with them. They continued to sit there and taunt me. I had NO idea how to make anything with them and I don't know how to can anything. Thankfully my mom saved the day. She sent me the recipe for her spaghetti sauce. I continued to wait, hoping to build the confidence and have time to make it. But I finally did it this weekend because my mom was here to help me!
First I chopped the tomatoes and boiled them until they were soft
then I chopped 3 peppers from my garden and in a separate pan cooked them in 1 cup oil, added 1 onion and some garlic
thankfully my mom was there to encourage, guide and stir!

Next we combined both mixtures, added 1/3 cup sugar, some basil, oregano, salt and pepper along with 3 cans of tomato paste (*see note in recipe below) and cooked for 30 minutes.
It smelled so wonderful we could hardly wait for the noodles to cook in order to eat it!

It is SO delicious I could eat it for every meal...but Joel says no!

Spaghetti Sauce
1/2 bushel tomatoes, (boil until soft)
Dice 2 or more green peppers, onion, garlic
1 cup vegetable oil
Cook in separate pan; when tomatoes are done, add two mixtures together plus: basil, pepper, salt, 1/2 cup sugar, oregano, (3) 12 oz tomato paste (* I only had one 12 oz can on hand so I used that and added one can of tomato sauce)
Cook for 30 minutes; pack in jars. Freeze or consume.

The other fantastic thing about this recipe was that after boiling the tomatoes I was left with a lot of tomato broth which I used to make a veggie soup! Also quite delicious!

Thanks Mommy! I love you!

2 comments:

Christine said...

sounds yummy!

Ryan said...

Hi Liv (felt obligated to call you that)!
Ryan Brown here, just came across your blog and I love reading it! You are Joel are amazing and we love reading about your adventures. They, and the two of you, are inspiring! I'm absolutely going to make this spaghetti sauce recipe. I'll let you know how it ends.
Good luck as school is starting, we will be thinking of you guys!

Followers

About Me

My photo
Minnesota
wife, daughter, sister, friend, teacher, artist, inspiration