one year of counting my blessings

“We can always choose to perceive things differently. You can focus on what's wrong in your life, or you can focus on what's right.” ~Marianne Williamson

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Being Intentional

This past summer was the best summer of my life; though it's beginning might make you think otherwise. It all started off with the swine flu. I was diagnosed on the first day of summer! After one week of being quarantined at home and another of sleeping to regain my energy, June was almost over. I spent one day of feeling sorry for myself that I only had two months left of summer and then I decided to do something about it.

I decided to focus on being intentional with each day of summer that remained. Joel and I spent time at the beginning of each week planning out how we would spend our time. At the end of the summer I felt fulfilled. I knew that I used every day to do things that brought me and the people around me joy.

After two months of living intentionally I felt like the best version of myself. That is saying a lot since I had felt like the worst version of myself this past March. I was pretty miserable most of the time. I had felt that way for awhile but didn't really know what was wrong or how to talk about it with people. I finally started talking to my family about it and found out that depression runs in my family. So I did the obvious, I Googled depression and realized that was most likely my issue. I started meeting with a counselor and she said that I had depression and anxiety.

I feel very blessed that after only a few months of prayer, counseling, medication, and the amazing support of my husband, family and friends I feel more connected to God and to myself than I think I ever have.

All of this brings me back to today. I have had this quote on my fridge for the past few months:

“We can always choose to perceive things differently. You can focus on what's wrong in your life, or you can focus on what's right.” ~Marianne Williamson

So that is my inspiration for this blog. I am going to be intentional over the next year about focusing on what is right instead of what is wrong in my life. I am going to count my blessings. Each week I am going to post about things that have brought me joy. It is amazing the amount of blessings that can surround you when you take the time to look.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
Minnesota
wife, daughter, sister, friend, teacher, artist, inspiration